The HWDSB welcomes international students to study at its 13 high schools (Grades 9 – 12) and 95 elementary schools (Grades 1 – 8). HWDSB teachers and staff are committed to helping every one of its students reach his or her full potential.
In addition to standard Ontario elementary and secondary curriculum, the HWDSB is proud to offer the following specialized programs to international students:
- ESL Programs: from beginner to advanced levels, with special congregated subjects in Business, Arts, History, Science, Drama and Geography.
- International Baccalaureate Program (IB): students gain university transfer credits and qualify for special university entrance scholarship opportunities.
- Business Programs: Accounting, Business Management, Web Design, Sports and Entertainment Marketing.
- Computer Networking Certification Programs: CISCO Certified Network Associate.
- Arts Programs: Media/Interior Design, Fashion Design, Animation, Photography, Pottery, Film Making.
- Aviation and Aerospace: students start learning to become a commercial pilot, cargo attendant and aerospace engineer through this pioneer program in Ontario.
- Robotics: students design and build competitive robots, compete in international robotic competitions and network with industry professionals.
- Cooperative Programs: students gain hands on experience and learn Canadian cultures faster!
- There are many more specialized programs that international students can choose to study. For more information, please visit our website: https://www.hwdsb.on.ca/secondary/programs/all/
Program Established: 2004
Programs Offered: Full Year, 1 Semester, Short Term
Specialized Programs: French Immersion, International Baccalaureate, Advanced Placement, Sports, Visual Arts, Fine Arts, ESL, Business, Computer Science, Specialist High Skills Major Program
Language(s) of Study: English, French
Total number of schools: 108
High schools for international students: 13
Total Students: 49,551
Total International Students: 246
International Students Accepted for Grades: JK-12
The City of Hamilton is ideally located at the centre of Ontario’s Golden Horseshoe, midway between Toronto and Niagara Falls in the province of Ontario, Canada. It only takes a 60 minute drive to get to Toronto, Niagara Falls and the border of the United States.
Hamilton is home to McMaster University and Mohawk College. It is about 1 to 1.5 hour’s drive to many leading universities, including University of Toronto, York University, University of Waterloo, University of Western Ontario, Guelph University, Brock University and more.
Hamilton is a safe, friendly and multicultural city, ideal for international students to study and live. The city offers many amenities including historical sites, professional sports teams, great shopping complexes, a beautiful view of Lake Ontario, and scenic conservation areas.
International students have the flexibility to choose a homestay provider that meets their needs. If needed, the HWDSB can provide assistance in finding a homestay provider.
A wide variety of clubs and activities are offered in HWDSB schools. International students are entitled to join all the clubs and activities just as Canadian students and are not required to pay extra fees. These kinds of activities are a great opportunity for international students to learn English, make Canadian friends, and integrate to Canada. Students may join ESL and Homework clubs to acquire assistance with English and homework, join Music, Visual Arts, Math or Science Club to further develop personal interests, join athletic clubs to play sports or join a fun trip to Toronto, Niagara Fall, New York City or even Europe!
Entrance Dates: September & February
Application Deadlines: May 31 & November 30
Application Fee: $275
Full Year Tuition Fee: $12,300- $13,300
1 Semester Tuition Fee: $6150-$6650
Annual Homestay Placement Fee: $250-$350 – depending on homestay companies
Homestay Monthly Fee: $850 – $950 depending on home conditions
Annual Health Insurance Fee: $662.65
Annual Custodianship Fee: $1,200 – $1,440 depending on homestay companies
All funds are in Canadian dollars
General Inquiries Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mailing Address: 465 East 16th Street
Postal Code: L9A 4K6
Phone: 905-527-5092 ext 2235