Choose a School

Frequently Asked Questions

Home » Students/Parents » Frequently Asked Questions

What school will I attend?

The International Education Department will choose the school for the student based on the information provided and space availability at the school.

Where will I live while studying in Canada?

Students can choose to live with a Canadian host family while studying in Canada if they do not have a parent who will be residing with them while in Canada or an immediate relative or family friend to reside with during their stay (refer to Homestay section for further details)

When are schools in session in Canada?

Schools are generally open from September to June each year. Schools are closed for one week in the spring, two weeks in the winter and the two months of July and August, however exact dates vary each year and by school.

How long is the program?

An international student can remain enrolled in an educational program up to the age of 19. Many students come for a few years but some come for only one year (10 months) or one semester (5 months).

Do I need to use an Agent?

While it may not be necessary, 80% of applications received by public schools in Canada are made through an agency. Those that don't take advantage of the support of an agency typically have family or friends in Canada to assist them. CAPS-I recommends working with an agency as they provide a wealth of knowledge and experience that is beneficial to parents/students throughout the decision-making process. Agencies also remain an important resource before departure as well as a key conduit of information between the school program and the natural family through the international student's stay in Canada.

How do I obtain a study permit?

Study permits are issued by Immigration, Refugees & Citizenship Canada, Canadian Embassies and Canadian Consulate offices around the world.  The first study permit a student receives must be applied for outside of Canada (typically in the student’s home country).   A visitor’s visa will only permit a student to study in a program that is 6 months or less in duration.  However, if there is a chance the student may want to extend their stay and study for longer than 6 months, the student will need to obtain a study permit prior to coming to Canada.

Do I need to attend an interview or provide biometric data to obtain my study permit?

After a student has submitted all necessary application forms and supporting documentation, someone at the Canadian embassy or consulate will review them. They may decide it is necessary to interview the student, in which case the student or parent will be contacted to set up an interview time and location.  All students that require a visa or study permit will also now be required to submit biometric data once requested to do so.

Can I attend a Canadian university after I graduate from high school?

Yes, if a student has the appropriate courses and high enough grades to meet the entrance requirements of the university. Typically, international students who have been attending a Canadian high school program for 3 or 4 years will not have to write the CAEL or IELTS examination of language proficiency prior to admission into a college or university however certain other considerations may apply.

What will happen if I get sick while living in Canada?

An international student will have health care or medical insurance provided by the educational program of their choice.  This will ensure students that need to visit a doctor or hospital.

What is the weather like in Canada?

Canada is a very large country so the weather conditions and temperatures can be very different in various parts of the country.  Visit The Weather Network at: http://www.theweathernetwork.com/  to determine the current forecast in Canadian cities.

What is Canadian food like?

Canada is a very multicultural country and so the foods eaten can vary greatly. Every host family is different but students can commonly expect the following:

Breakfast standards are cereal with milk, toast, juice and coffee or tea. On the weekends, breakfast may be bigger and include eggs, pancakes, bacon, etc… Lunch will usually be packed by the student and consist of a sandwich or soup, a drink, some fruit and vegetables and snacks like cookies. Dinner is often multicultural with Italian, Mexican, German, British, East Indian or Asian dishes.  Beef, chicken and fish are also common at dinner.

When can I arrive in Canada?

Students should plan to arrive one-two weeks before school starts to get settled in to living arrangements, adjusted to local time and get organized.  A student should check with their specific school  as there may be an orientation session they need to attend before the start of regular classes.

What should I pack to bring with me?

In addition to clothing and toiletries, students may want to bring mementos from home (pictures , flag etc.) to help new friends and host families learn about where they`ve come from.

Can my family come to visit me while I study in Canada?

Yes, parents are encouraged to visit their children while studying in Canada.  It is suggested that parents wait a few months to allow their child to adjust to their new environment and routines.  Visiting family members must make arrangements for their own accommodations.

May I work or volunteer while I am studying in Canada?

International students attending high school are not permitted to work while studying in Canada. Depending on the nature of the volunteer experience, an international student may be eligible to do so without applying for a 'work' permit to volunteer.

If I leave Canada during my stay, can I return?

Yes, if the student`s passport and study permit are valid and have not expired while they are out of Canada they are able to return.